Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Halloween Joy

Yes I know I am a little late on this one, but I am going to invoking Mother's Privilege with today's post. And I apologize in advance to my dear husband. Toby, I love you, and these little videos were too funny to pass up! Mystery Solved!

Sophia is 3, actually almost 4 now, so this was our first real Halloween. She had three events to prepare for. I can tell you at the end of the week, I was exhausted!

Sophia decided she wanted to be the Wicked Witch of the West (from her favorite movie The Wizard of Oz). Only she would be wearing the ruby slippers having gotten them from Dorothy after all.

Now to assemble the costume: Sophia already had the slippers (from the days when Dorothy was still her heroine) and a witch hat and gown that her friend Kate had outgrown. Next we had to find the perfect broom to go with it. Oh, and who could forget the face paint for the green face!

Once those were secured, we decided we'd better have a dress rehearsal - to make sure the makeup worked. This short film is our rehearsal captured on tape! Sophia had to work at keeping her witch hat on as it was a blustery fall day.




As you can see the makeup left something to be desired so we got better makeup for the real thing. Read on...

EVENT ONE: Halloween Party At School

Blue Valley Montessori hosted an evening party on Tuesday, October 30 for the kids. Sophia was a hit as the "WW of the W" and she insisted I go as Glinda the Good Witch of the North. Here are some photos from the festivities. Notice the much brighter green make up!





EVENT TWO: Classroom Party

Sophia's teacher opted to give the kids another party on Halloween day. This time Sophia went as one of her favorite princesses, Snow White. This is a photo from last February of Sophia in her Snow White outfit.




EVENT THREE: Halloween Night

Sophia joined her friends Julia, Claire and Rachel for trick-or-treating. The girls, who are 10 and 11 (twins), had invited some other friends as well. It was a big group so Sophia had a lot to keep up with.

For this event she decided to go as Tinkerbell and wear the dress her Aunt Melanie gave her for her birthday last year (see photo).

Because it was in the upper 50's I insisted she wear a turtleneck sweater under her dress. When she balked, I gave her a choice between the sweater plus a coat or just the sweater. She happily chose the sweater, but after putting it all on declared, "This looks ridiculous!" When I asked if she was interested in adding the coat, she again was happy about the sweater (I don't know how much longer I can use this strategy before she catches on!)

Off we went to the Wakefield's house to begin the trick-or-treating. Now, I know this may be hard to believe, but as we walked to the Wakefield's, Sophia turned to me as said, "Thank you Mommy for making me wear my sweater." WOW! She actually had to connect the dots! She felt it was cold, was grateful she had her sweater, remembered I insisted she wear it, felt grateful that I had insisted, and decided to voice her gratitude! These are moments parents live for!

Finally it was time to trick-or-treat. Dad was in charge of documenting the momentous occasion. The two short videos below are the result:





Okay, we did manage to get one photo anyway:



But most importantly, Sophia had a ball. She got tons of candy (UGH!) and she lasted almost as long as the big kids!

Hope you all had a joy-filled Halloween! We certainly did!

1 comment:

sobelius said...

Wow -- what a treat (pun intended) to see Sophia having fun in her costumes. :)

I gave out boxes of raisins to the kids at the office (which I'm sure most didn't want, just as I'm sure I would have thought "these suck!" if I had gotten raisins at Halloween -- oh well).

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when you wrote that Sophia said "This looks ridiculous!" Wish you could have gotten *that* on video!

Much love and hugs and thanks for posting the story and pictures and videos!