Sunday, September 16, 2007

Finding Joy Through Authentic Expression

This passage was shared at the retreat I attended this weekend. It was written by Martha Graham, an American dancer choreographer. She is regarded as one of the foremost pioneers of modern dance. I found it inspiring and hope it inspires others:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening
That is translated through you into action.
And because there is only one of you in all time
This expression is unique.
And if you block it,
It will never exist through any other medium,
And will be lost.
The world will not have it.
It is not yours to determine how good it is,
Nor how valuable, or how it compares to other expressions.
It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, and
To stay open and aware to the urges that motivate you."

To be joyful we must be willing to be ourselves, our true selves, and live authentically.

Is there a life you dream of living? I believe our dreams begin as an impulse or dream in Divine Mind. It is our responsibility to manifest these Dreams of the Divine which have been entrusted to us. Bringing forth these dreams are when we feel ourselves most alive. And because they comes from the Source of All, it stands to reason everything we need to make them reality will be given to us, if only we are willing to say YES!

It often takes courage to step away from a life others expect us to live, a life that has its comforts even if it doesn't fulfill our deepest desires. It also takes courage to believe in ourselves enough to get still and hear the whisperings of our souls. Listen closely...what is your soul whispering to you?

“Everybody builds a dream in their lifetime. You’re either going to build your dream, or somebody else's. So build your own!"
-- Christopher LaBrec

1 comment:

choral_composer said...

Thanks for sharing this Rima. I found myself refecting back on something I wrote in an old blog post of mine, "I would rather live my own true life imperfectly, than a false life perfectly"

I know how to play the roles that are offered me, but I lose my true self in the process.